Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Mama's famous Mayonnaise cake


My Mama has done her fair share of cooking.  She can't really say she enjoyed cooking, she kind of had to cook.  She got married pretty young at 17, had a husband and 3 children who needed sustenance and a budget that wasn't always hefty.  She really had to be creative and she took a lot of what she learned from her Mom and big sister Ava Lee (who was married at 13 herself).  Cheap pieces of meat cooked for longer periods of time, beans and cornbread were a staple, cornbread and milk was a nice treat but, her one shining glory was her Mayonnaise cake.

I'm not sure where she got this recipe but, she's had it for ages.  My brother, Monte, always had to have a Mayonnaise cake .. when he was in the Army, when he was out of the Army, whenever she could have one made for him, he wanted it.  He was a Mayonnaise cake junkie and that's no lie.  Any time he had a new lady in his life, he'd make them call her up just to get the recipe from her so THEY can make it for him.

When she married my Daddy and I was growing up, she made it quite a bit.  I wouldn't touch her Mayonnaise cake .. for years.  I wasn't a big fan of Mayo, never had been.  Although, I did come to appreciate Dutch Mayonnaise while living in Holland but, only the kind made with olive oil.  It was tasty with frietes (french fries).  When I FINALLY got up the nerve to sample it, I couldn't believe how wonderful it was.  So moist with just the right amount of spice.  She would sprinkle powdered sugar on it but, I could do without it .. it's fine all on its own.

Here it is, everyone .. give it a chance, it's fabulous!

Mayonnaise cake

In a separate bowl, combine:

1 c. chopped nuts
1 c. raisins
1 scant c. warm water
1/2 t. soda

In another bowl, combine:

1 c. sugar
1 c. mayonaise
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. cloves
1/4 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1 t. vanilla
2 c. sifted flour

Preheat your oven to 350F.

1.)  Add to top ingredients in mixing bowl.

2.)  Stir like hell with large spoon.
3.)  Turn into greased 8 x 8 pan.
4.)  Bake until a toothpick comes back clean when inserted.

Now mind you, this is her own words .. I had no influence on it whatsoever .. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails